Meade County Clerk
Janet Hale was elected to a four-year term as County Clerk in November 2008. She started working for the County in 2001 and served as payroll clerk prior to her election.
Party Affliation: Republican
Term: The County Clerk is elected in November of the Presidential Election years for a term of four years. There are no term limits for this position.
Sherri Gonzales Dixie Harlow
Payroll Clerk Clerk
P.O. Box 278
200 North Fowler
Meade, KS 67864-0278
The County Clerk's Office plays an important role within the operation of Meade County. It is at times considered the center point of communication and information. The County clerk's office is a vital part of a team keeping things running smoothly. Among the many daily business functions, the County Clerk is also the County Election Officer. The office organizes all the special, primary and general elections held within the county.
Here is a list of some of the County Clerk's Office general responsibilities:
- Check budgets for taxing districts & set tax levies
- Abstracts the tax Roll
- Maintains Intangible tax roll & Sub-roll
- Transfer of deeds
- Maintain ownership on tax rolls
- Mineral reports
- Budgetary Accounting
- Maintain employee record files
- Assist with Homestead Applications
- Prepare publications
- Maintain Records for Historical purposes
- Keeps minutes of Commissioner's meetings
- Follows all current & past legislation on government records as far as the retention & disposition schedules for records
- Keeps listing of vital Statistics
As shown the County Clerk's office has a great variety of functions. Generally, if an issue does not fall into category of any other office they will come to the County Clerk. Therefore, the County Clerk endeavors to stay updated on any new and ever-changing statues of law. Meade County employees pride themselves in their teamwork and excellent communication between offices. If the county clerk cannot answer your questions or help you with your request, she will direct you to someone who can.
Governmental Ethics Commission
Kansas Assn of Counties