Healthy Start Program - Home Visits to Pregnant and Post Partum Women and Infants.
Jo Ross is our Healthy Start Coordinator. If you are interested in
visiting with Jo please call the Health Department at 620-873-8745.
If you would rather set up an appointment to visit with Jo at the Health Department she would be happy to assist you with that also.
The Healthy Start Home Visitor Program
The HSHV program is a free program which provides in home visits to expectant and new parents in Meade County. During a scheduled visit, the HSV (Healthy Start Visitor) will, provide emotional support and education to help you have a healthy pregnancy and information on becoming a parent. The Home visitor can also refer expectant mothers to community services. A post partum visit is scheduled soon after the baby is born to answer questions and address any concerns you may have about your newborn.
Our home visitor can make referrals and give you information on other community services to help you have the healthiest family possible, including:
· Prenatal and postpartum health information
· Infant Care
· Reducing the risk of infant death and injury
· Supplemental food for women, infants and children (WIC)
· Help with breast feeding and loaning of breast pumps
· Car seat requirements and proper use
· Planning for child care, if needed
· Child developmental services
· Safety in the home
· Family relationships
· Life-style change programs –smoking cessation, alcohol and drug abuse, etc.
· Financial help – emergency food, food stamps, health care and emergency assistance
· Women’s Health Clinics
Adult education – GED, high school diploma, how to speak English
Your family is important and we want your experience as a parent and family to be fulfilling.
Other sites of interest:
Breastfeeding Education and Support
Certified Breastfeeding Educators available for consultation
Electric breast pump loan program to qualified mothers
Manual breast pumps given free to Meade County breastfeeding Moms