Women, Infants & Children (WIC)

What Is WIC & What Is the Purpose of WIC

WIC is a nutrition program that provides nutrition and health education, healthy food, and other services to Kansas families who qualify. WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children. To find more information, visit the Kansas Department of Health and Environment Nutrition & WIC Services

Who's Eligible?

Pregnant person smiling at camera holding glass of waterWIC clients must meet WIC income guidelines and have medical or nutritional needs. WIC serves Kansas residents who are:

  • Pregnant
  • Breastfeeding mothers, up to baby's first birthday
  • Non-breastfeeding mothers, up to six months after baby's birth
  • Infants
  • Children under five years of age

How do I Apply?

Call your local WIC agency to schedule an appointment. At the appointment, there will be a brief review of foods you eat, medical history, and current health status to determine the medical or nutritional need. If you or your child is found eligible for WIC benefits, the appointment will also include nutrition education. 

What do I need to bring?

Eligibility & Income Guidelines

WIC Approved Foods

WIC checks can be used to buy healthy food at over 350 authorized grocery stores statewide. Examples of WIC foods include:

  • Fruits and vegetable 
  • Milk 
  • Baby food
  • Whole grains 
  • Infant formula
  • Eggs 
  • Peanut butter
  • Cereal 
  • Canned or dried beans
  • Fruit juice 
  • Canned tuna or salmon
  • Yogurt
  • Cheese


Meade County has a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor to provide education and support for WIC mothers. She is available to breastfeeding mothers inside and outside clinic hours and in the clinic environment. Call the Health Department for details. WIC is not a welfare program... it is a nutrition program.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online, or at any USDA office, or call 866-632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax at 202-690-7442 or Email Program Intake at U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339; or 800-845-6136 (Spanish).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.